Did You Know?
Most sports governing bodies, including the NBA, NFL, and F1™, have their official applications for smartphones.
Gone are the days when we had to tune in to the TV to learn about the current scores, or know the latest updates concerning our favorite sports or teams. The advent and growing popularity of smartphones has opened the doors for apps that are designed to bring everything, right from scores and game updates, to live matches, right at your fingertips.
With these amazing apps, you’ll never have to worry about not being aware of the latest happenings in the world of your favorite sport. We, at Buzzle, have compiled a list of the best apps that you can lay your hands on, irrespective of the sport you love.
The 10 Top Apps for Sports Fans
Are you a huge fan of baseball? Do you love soccer? Well, whether you’re just a sport fanatic or passionate about a particular sport, there’s an app for you. However, note that, this, by no means, is an all-inclusive list, and there are a host of splendid apps out there. So, here we go …
This is a must-have app for all sports fanatics, as it brings to you news updates and scores in real-time, from various sports leagues from around the world. You have the choice to personalize your scoreboard for updates and news feeds from your favorite league.
- Videos from the top live events of the day
- Alerts and notifications for upcoming games
- MyNews & MyVideo features for content related to your favorite team(s)
- In-depth game coverage
2. Sports Bet: Social Sportsbook
If you’re looking for a sports app that offers you more than just scores and live updates, then this app is for you. Using it, you can make virtual bets on your favorite teams, along with your friends. However, you need to be connected to the Internet to use this app.
- Bet with your friends on different sports
- Exciting high-speed action
- Photos of your favorite sports stars
- Compete with your friends to know who’s the best sports better
3. theScore: Sports & Scores
This app has featured in Time Magazine’s 50 Must-Have iPad apps, as well as in the App Store Essentials Hall of Fame. Need we say more? This is just one of the best sports apps out there, which makes it a must-have for every sports fan. What’s more, it’s free!
- Real-time alerts so that you do not even miss a second of the action
- Free Push Alerts for goals, ends of quarters, and key moments in any game
- Live coverage for major leagues of football, basketball, baseball, hockey, mixed martial arts, soccer, auto racing, golf, tennis, and lacrosse.
- ‘Player Card Profiles’ feature allows you to learn more about the players
4. FanCake, Rewarding Sports Fans
This app is a game that you can play with friends, and is based on live baseball, football, basketball or hockey games. The aim is to catch FanCake medals and Trophy Moments, and take part in real-time predictions. The more you play, the more credits you earn, which you can use to redeem stuff from your favorite brands. Cool, isn’t it?
- Redeem credits for some cool stuff
- Set reminders for your favorite sporting events
- Participate in predictions
- Access to Twitter feeds and other content from your favorite teams
5. MLB.com At Bat
This is the official app of Major League Baseball, and is the best source of everything related to the game. The MLB.com At Bat 13 app gives you a lot more, including access to video highlights, and individual team pages. It is priced at $4.99 for the remainder of the 2013 season, but is free for subscribers of MLB.TV Premium.
- Home and away radio broadcasts
- In-progress video highlights
- Customizable push notifications
- Condensed Games
* The Basic version is free across all platforms, but the subscription charges for the professional version may vary.
6. NBA Game Time
This is the official app of National Basketball Association, and is a must-have for all fans of the game. Just download the basic version of this free app, and follow the NBA wherever you go. If you’re a Sprint customer, you can enjoy additional benefits, such as free live coverage of every NBA game, along with a free access to NBA Game Time Plus.
- Customize the app for updates on your favorite team
- Watch highlights
- Stay updated with news and info
- Get schedules for every game
7. CBS Sports
If you’re looking for an app that keeps you updated on all the major sports, then this app is one you should never miss out! From live matches to real-time scores, updates and stats, this app gives you all.
- Personalized Push Notifications
- Live video, highlights, and programs
- Real-time Twitter feed from your favorite team
- Standings for every league
8. Team Stream by Bleacher Report
This is another great app that’s absolutely free and brings you updates from your favorite teams from different sports, all in one place. Just download this app and you’ll never lose touch with the latest updates.
- Pick your favorite teams to get streams in real-time
- Get the best stories, pictures, and videos from across the web
- Get Twitter feeds
- Share news with your friends
9. NFL Mobile
This is the official app of the National Football League, and is designed to bring football to your mobile. It is newly designed and comes with a host of features. You can use this app to manage your Fantasy Football Team. If you own a Verizon smartphone, you can upgrade to the Premium Features and get access to NFL RedZone on Sunday afternoons, along with live game audio and NFL Network 24/7. Subscription to NFL Mobile Premium is only for $5 per month.
- Minute-by-minute game scores from across the league
- Video highlights
- Game tickets and game analysis
- Team standings and schedules
10. F1™ 2013 Timing App – Basic
This app brings to you everything from news, race schedules, standings, and latest updates. It gets updated at the end of every season, and you can access live timing and track positioning for the 2013 season by choosing the in-App purchase.
Key Features (Free Version):
- News notifications
- Twitter feed
- Live timing and track positioning demo
- Information on latest drivers and team stats
Price (Basic): Free
The premium version, F1™ 2013 Timing App CP, costs $21.99 on Android, $28.99 on iOS, $29.99 on Blackberry, and $20.99 on Windows Phone.
So, all you sports lovers out there, have you downloaded these apps yet? Do let us know if there are any more apps out there that you love.
Disclaimer: Prices mentioned in this article are subject to change without prior notice and do not include any promotions or offers.